Sunday 24 February 2013

Literacy Blog #1- Semester 2

     Hi, My name is Sarah and I am in Grade 9. I am making this blog for my Grade 9 English Class. One of my favourite books is Tori by Design. It is about a girl who moves from Winnipeg to New York. The author of the book is a Winnipeg Author. I liked the book because it is not to difficult to read and you can understand what is going on in the book. One of my favourite movies is either New Years Eve or Pitch Perfect. I like these movies because they are always to follow along and their are some good parts in it. I like movies that have some real life stuff to do with them. Also, when you can relate somewhat to movie it is better I find. My favourite thing is Summer because you can travel places and hangout with your friends all the time and its nice and hot outside. I don't mind Winter but seeing we live in Winnipeg it is always so cold and nobody ever wants to go outside. One thing I have always wanted to do is go swimming with Dolphins in Hawaii! I don't know why it has just been something I have always wanted to do.

    
 
     The book I am reading is called " that summer " by Sarah Dessen. I'm on  the 5th chapter but what I have learnt about the book. Its about a girl who is looking back at a summer that she will never forget. Her dad got re-married and her perfect sister was getting married too. The book starts off with her dad getting married and she just keeps referring to that summer so I think the book is starting in the past and coming forward to the present. She thinks everything is going to quickly and she just wants everything to slow down. She always refers to this one boy that her sister dated and everyone liked. A prediction I have made is that maybe he will come back and she will fall for him.
 
     One of the main characters that we know the most about it is Haven. Haven is fifteen years old and already six-feet-tall. Looking at the picture on the cover of the book she has brown hair but they have never said anything in the book. I am just making an observation by looking at the cover of the book. from the first couple chapters of the book it seems like Haven has a really nice personality. She cares a lot about other people and always want them to be happy. Her and her sister Ashley don't have the greatest relationship but they still are sisters. Haven has a mom and her dad that got re-married to the women they call " weather pet". Haven always talks about how she doesn't like being six-feet-tall and wishes she was shorter. Not knowing so much about the character was hard finding a character who could play Haven if it would come out in a movie but I thought maybe Selena gomez or China Ann Mcclain. the only thing about having Selena Gomez may be her age but I think either one of them would be able to play Haven.
 
In the book 'That Summer' they live in a town called Lakeview because that is a place Haven always refers too. I think it takes place not to long ago because by the descriptions and everything it is things that we have done or see in movies that have not happened long ago. We know for sure that it takes place during the summer because they always talk about being outside. It is talking about Haven and her life and how she sees things. When reading the first couple chapters and thinking of the setting it reminded me of when we went on a vacation. We went to our friends cottage and their were six families and we all stayed their for a weekend, all the kids had a good time and the adults did too. we went swimming and tubing and it is a Summer I will never forget because I was with people that I know and we all got along well and had a good time and we all enjoyed hanging out with each other. I wish every Summer was like that Summer. So, just reading about those settings in the book made me relate back to that one Summer I will never forget.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment